김치 볶음밥 is super delicious, super easy to make, and it fries up so quickly that you’ll barely have time to say “한국 음식 진짜 좋아해요!” (I really like Korean food!) before it’s cooked!
One of the best things about Korean cooking is that you can add your own flair to it. If you want to add corn, do it! Want to add SPAM or 두부 (tofu) ? Go ahead!
This is a pretty basic recipe for 김치 볶음밥 and makes 2 very generous servings.
Let’s get cooking!
You will need:
- 후라이팬 (fry pan)
- 2 cups (or 2 rice bowls) of cooked 밥 (rice)
- 1 cup of 김치 (kimchi)–do not drain or squeeze the liquid!
- ½ of a 양파 (onion)
- 1 clove of 마늘 (garlic)
- 1-2 Teaspoon of 고추장 (gochujang – a.k.a. hot pepper paste) (
- 1 Tabespoon if you like it medium-hot, and 2 Tablespoons if you’d like a death sentence.
- 1 Tablespoon of 간장 (soy sauce)
- 2 teaspoons of 설탕 (sugar)
- 2 tablespoons of 김치 juice from the jar
- 2 달걀 (egg)
- 1 Teaspoon 참기름 (sesame oil)
- 2 Tbsp oil for frying (vegetable, canola, olive..etc.)
- 깨소금 (sesame seeds) for garnish
- 1 파 (green onion) for garnish
|Chop 파, mince 1 clove of 마늘, rough chop 1 cup of 김치, Cut 양파. Set aside.|
|Heat 1Tbsp of oil in the 후라이팬 over medium heat.|
|Once the oil is heated, fry the 2 달걀.Traditionally, the 달걀 is served sunny-side up. ****|
(****Note: You can cook the 달걀 before you start to cook the rice, or you can cook it after you’ve plated the rice and wiped the 후라이팬 clean, or you can cook the 달걀 in a separate 후라이팬. Basically, you can cook the 달걀 whenever you want and how ever you want!)
Voila! Delicious 김치 볶음밥!
If you make this, be sure to share your photos and opinions with us on our Facebook page or leave a comment in the comment section below! Thanks for reading, and happy cooking!
Written by Stephanie Morris
Photograph by Stephanie Morris